Troops of Operation Whirl Stroke have intensified their offensive against criminal elements in Benue and Taraba states, neutralising four suspected criminals and rescuing two kidnapped victims during a series of coordinated security operations.
The Force Commander of Operation Whirl Stroke, Major General Moses Gara, disclosed the development in a statement issued by the Acting Media Information Officer, Lieutenant Ahmad Zubairu. According to the statement, the successful operations were conducted between May 24 and May 31, 2026, as part of ongoing efforts to combat kidnapping, armed robbery and other violent crimes across the region.
Major General Gara said troops responded swiftly to reports of an attack by armed men along the Gbajimba–Agasha Road in Guma Local Government Area of Benue State on May 24. Upon arrival, security personnel discovered two residents who had sustained injuries during the attack. The victims were immediately evacuated to the Primary Health Centre in Gbajimba, where they received medical attention.
Following the incident, troops launched a manhunt for the attackers and intensified surveillance operations in surrounding communities to prevent further attacks and track down fleeing suspects.
On the same day in neighbouring Taraba State, troops responded to a distress call regarding an armed robbery attack along the Rafin Kada–Donga Road. Security operatives engaged the suspects in a fierce gun battle, resulting in the neutralisation of two armed robbers.
The operation also led to the recovery of an AK-47 rifle, three magazines loaded with ammunition and cash amounting to N39,950 believed to have been linked to the criminal activity.
Military authorities said subsequent operations carried out within the review period led to the elimination of two additional criminal suspects and the successful rescue of two kidnapped victims who had been held captive by their abductors.
Operation Whirl Stroke noted that the operations form part of broader efforts by the military and other security agencies to restore peace and stability in Benue, Taraba and neighbouring states, which have witnessed recurring incidents of banditry, kidnapping and communal violence.
The military reassured residents of its commitment to protecting lives and property, urging members of the public to continue supporting security agencies with timely and credible information that can aid ongoing operations.
Security analysts say the latest successes demonstrate the importance of intelligence-driven operations in disrupting criminal networks and improving safety in vulnerable communities across the North-Central region.
Authorities have vowed to sustain the momentum until all criminal hideouts are dismantled and lasting peace is restored in the affected areas.


