MINNA, Nigeria
— The Niger State Police Command has confirmed that at least 18 people were killed following a violent clash between farmers and herders in Rafi Local Government Area of the state, although residents insist the actual number of casualties may be significantly higher.
The violence affected several communities, including Anguwan-Baago, Kuwan-Kasa, Mararraban-Gwadaro, and Tashan-Bako, where homes were destroyed and hundreds of residents displaced.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Wasiu Abiodun, said 15 victims were burnt alive inside a two-bedroom apartment in Anguwan-Baago during the latest wave of attacks.
According to the police, the crisis began on June 29 after suspected armed men allegedly shot and killed 25-year-old Ibrahim Musa in Godoro village.
The killing reportedly triggered a reprisal attack in which members of a local vigilante group, popularly known as Yansakai, allegedly blocked a road and killed 28-year-old Bashir Mazi.
Police believe the violence is connected to a longstanding land dispute between neighbouring communities, which escalated into a series of retaliatory attacks.
On July 1, at about 10 p.m., a report was received that 15 persons were burnt to death in a two-bedroom apartment at Anguwan-Baago via Godoro village, while one other person was killed at another location, bringing the total number of fatalities to 18,” Abiodun said.
The police spokesperson disclosed that a reconciliation committee, led by officials of the Rafi Local Government Council, is working with security agencies to restore peace in the affected communities.
He also said joint security personnel comprising the Nigeria Police Force and the military have been deployed to the area to prevent further violence and maintain law and order.
However, residents challenged the official account, claiming the death toll could be much higher as attacks reportedly continued on Thursday.
A community leader told *Daily Trust* that Tashan-Bako community was completely razed during a fresh attack, with additional casualties feared.
I cannot lie to you. Tashan-Bako was completely burnt today, and more people are still being killed. The affected areas are inaccessible, so nobody can determine the actual number of those killed or injured,” the community leader said.
He further alleged that no security personnel had reached the affected communities despite the police’s assurance, forcing many residents—including women and children—to flee to safer locations such as Tegina, Maikujeri, Pandogari, Kagara, and other neighbouring communities.
Another resident claimed that more than 30 people were burnt inside their homes, while several others sustained varying degrees of injuries during the attacks.
The resident also accused authorities of responding too slowly, alleging that delayed security intervention allowed the violence to escalate.
As of the time of filing this report, the police maintained that 18 deaths had been officially confirmed, while residents continued to report additional casualties. The exact number of those killed and injured remains unclear as security agencies work to gain full access to the affected communities.


