Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang has assured residents of Mangu Local Government Area that his administration will protect their communities and ensure they are not forced from their ancestral lands following a deadly attack in the area.
Mutfwang gave the assurance on Thursday during a visit to Bin Mper community in the Kombun District of Mangu, where several people were killed and others injured in an attack.
The governor described the incident as barbaric, senseless and unacceptable, adding that the loss of innocent lives was not only an attack on the affected community but also a challenge to the state government.
‘We Will Strengthen Security’
Addressing residents, Mutfwang said the government would reinforce existing security measures and introduce additional strategies to protect vulnerable communities.
He said security agencies had already arrested some suspects in connection with the attack and vowed that the investigation would be pursued to its conclusion.
The governor also called for stronger intelligence gathering and better coordination among security agencies to ensure attacks are prevented before they occur.
Military Steps Up Operations
The attack has prompted an increased security presence in Mangu.
The General Officer Commanding 3 Division, Nigerian Army, Major General Maxwell Dangana, has moved his tactical command office to the local government area for two weeks as the military begins Operation Hard Nut.
The operation is aimed at tracking down terrorists and other criminals responsible for the recent violence while restoring normalcy to affected communities.
The Plateau State Police Command has also announced the arrest of a suspect allegedly linked to the attack.
Governor Appeals For Calm
Mutfwang commiserated with families who lost loved ones and wished those injured a speedy recovery.
He urged residents to remain calm, vigilant and law-abiding while cooperating with security agencies and community leaders.
The governor also visited the Mishkagham Mwaghavul, Da. John Putmang Hirse, to express his condolences to the traditional institution and the wider Mwaghavul community.
Hirse described the attack as particularly disturbing, saying residents had lived peacefully with their neighbours and had continued to accommodate visitors despite the insecurity.
He assured the governor that the Mwaghavul people would remain peaceful and would not abandon their ancestral land because of intimidation.
The latest incident has heightened security concerns in Mangu, coming after several attacks were recorded in the area within a week. Residents have continued to call for stronger protection as security agencies intensify operations across the affected communities.


